Acting like project is not under Perforce

Nov 29, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Absolutely love this extension!

At some point, my working configuration no longer treats my projects as if they are under source code control (no glyphs and the only option on the right-click menu is Add and Refresh Glyphs).

This change in behavior may have come as the result of a version upgrade but I can't be sure since I spend a lot of time disconnected from our source code control network but with access to the Internet (in the field).

With logging set to Informational and devenv started with /Log, I get minimal logging information (and no glyphs on my source files):

40:35.292: Information: Starting to set file states on background thread

40:35.502: Information: Perforce Root is E:/ (E:\)

40:35.883: Information: Finished setting file states on background thread for 26 files

The above is with Perforce connection configuration explicitly set in Options. If I change the password in the Options to something invalid, I get the above sequence plus errors in-between (shown below):

54:02.132: Error: P4Service.Connect() ArgumentException unable to connect. Server XXXXXXXX:1666, Workspace yyyyyyyyy_DevVM

54:02.142: Error: ArgumentException in VS2P4.P4Cache.SetFileStates() -- Unable to connect to P4 at server=XXXXXXXX:1666 and user=yyyyyyyyy

It seems that the configuration is being correctly parsed and the connection succeeds but my project is treated as if it isn't in Perforce. I know of no changes we've made to the Perforce server other than to change its IP address (quite possibly in the timeframe when this issue started). I can run the P4 fstat command from the command line using the same parameters and it seems to produce valid information about the file under Perforce control.

Any ideas?

Tim

Nov 29, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Tim, I'm glad you like it. I'm sorry you're having this trouble. Here's a list of questions/comments.

1. Are you sure your root is E:/ and not E:\? I wonder if you could test with a workspace set to E:\. The forward slash may be confusing VS2P4.

2. Are you on the latest version (1.55)?

3. I think the invalid password error is as expected.

4. Maybe I could email you a debug version to install, for more detailed logging? Let me know at brubaker.dale at gmail.com

Thanks,
Dale 

Nov 29, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, Dale.

Sorry for omitting the version. It is 1.55.

I changed the E:/ to E:\ and VS2P4 is back to its "old," useful self again. Not sure why we've been using the forward slash in a Windows development group...

Thanks again, for a wonderful tool!

Jan 10, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I also had a similar issue. My perforce workspace had a root of P:. When I changed it to P:\, the extension started working again. Maybe consider auto-detecting the root and fixing it in the app?

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I agree. Fixed in version 1.70.