VS2P4 Performance

Sep 15, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Hi,

I have just tried using VS2P4 and it looks like a great tool. Unfortunately, if I leave it enabled it seems to render VS2010 unusable, as it seems to endlessly cycle through the files I've got checked out. Is this normal behaviour, or is it something I've configured wrongly?

Many thanks

Sep 15, 2011 at 10:39 AM

No one else has reported this problem. No, it's not normal behavior. You might try to make it happen on a small test solution. 

Also you may need to look at the debug output to identify what is happening.

From the documentation page:

Logging at various levels (e.g. Error or Information) goes to the Output Window under VS2P4.

• Starting VS (devenv.exe) with /log will cause logging to go also to ActivityLog.xml, e.g. %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ActivityLog.XML, depending on the Logging level set in the Options window.
  • Note that Logging at Information level causes significant slowness.

Sep 15, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Thanks, I'll have a go again. I tried setting logging to "None" but this had no practical effect. I tried logging and don't see anything useful, all I see is constant repeats of the same messages:

Information: P4Service.SendCommand(): fstat C:\DEV\xxx\Project1.csproj
Information: P4Service.SendCommand(): fstat C:\DEV\xxx\Project2.csproj
Information: P4Service.SendCommand(): fstat C:\DEV\xxx\Project1.csproj
Information: P4Service.SendCommand(): fstat C:\DEV\xxx\Project2.csproj

etc.

If I turn off all logging even just expanding folders or scrolling in a code file seems to take seconds.

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Hmm, I'm guessing that fstat may be timing out trying to "find" the files. I wonder if you are using P4CONFIG and it's set up properly to see the files at  fstat C:\DEV\xxx\? You might run a cmd or PS shell at the same default location as your vs project, and run p4 fstat on those files, to make sure that Perforce "sees" these project files.

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Thanks for your prompt reply. I've manually configured P42VS, so i'm not using P4CONFIG at all. The icons seem to be working and it correctly indicates to me which files are/aren't checked out, its just performance which is the issue for me.